Wednesday, January 7, 2009

gij is a bad citizen

I think I've found what was going on with my scala interpreter. The debian scala package depends on gij, the GNU Interpreter for Java. THIS IS BAD. I didn't notice it get installed, but suddenly everything that called java on my system was filling up system memory, going into swap, filling up the entire swap, and crashing. I suspect that if I install a version of scala that uses the real java interpreter, it won't use 1GB of RAM to call 'hello world'.
Come on debian. Java is GPL now. Let's get out of the ghetto.

2 comments:

fiXedd said...

I wrestled with this problem a while back as well. I was trying to do some Android development and for some reason I just could NOT get the development environment to work right. After futzing around with it for a while I figured out that it was gij. After I uninstalled everything gij-related everything seemed to be a-ok.

Now, months later, for some reason my Azureus (sorry... Vuze) isn't acting right and I'm stumped. It acts like it's working, but it won't reliably download/upload anything. Long story short, gij is back.

If "they" aren't going to make it compatible with Sun's Java then they need to just get rid of it. Firstly, having things not work is unacceptable. Secondly, Java is GPL now so even the moral argument is out.

fiXedd said...

Suggestion on Brainstorm for Ubuntu: Remove everything -gcj from java dependencies