Monday, March 16, 2009

TheSans

The guy who developed Inconsolata namechecked TheSans
I was particularly struck by the beauty of Luc(as) de Groot's Consolas, which is his monospaced design for Microsoft's upcoming Vista release. This font, similar to his earlier TheSansMono, demonstrated clearly to me that monospaced fonts do not have to suck.


And that piqued my curiosity. After a few days of hunting, I found a source that could get me the font for less than the list price of $Ridiculous

Even though it was explicitly designed for programming, it's a little funny looking. And the zeros aren't dotted or crossed.

in VIM


in Gnome Terminal

2 comments:

Lindsey Kuper said...

Man, those question marks just don't look question-y enough for me. For Scheme, it's nice to be able to tell the difference between ! and ? at, like, fifty paces.

This won't help you, but I use Apple Monaco 14 in Emacs, and I really, really like it. It manages to be anti-aliased without looking like it's going to float away in a stiff breeze.

jes5199 said...

yeah, I agree. I'm gonna post some better fonts soon.

Monoco is on my "maybe" list. I think it's strange-looking, too.

my Emacs doesn't seem to actually use fonts. It's like visiting 1990. I don't know what's up with that.